Monday, May 27, 2013

IMC Thumbnails!

It took a little bit of work to get excited about illustrating A Midsummer Night's Dream, but when I realized how strongly I felt about Oberon's actions against Titania, I had a strong hook to work from.

I know that Midsummer is one of Shakespeare's comedies, but I just... I'm creeped out my almost all of the relationships in the play. What Oberon does, in using love-in-idleness on Titania, is drugging her with the specific intention of humiliating her into submission: the word used is 'love', but it's made explicit (haha) that she's supposed to have sex with whatever forest animal she comes across.

Anyway. I clearly have some opinions! Here are the thumbs I did while working through them.


For this year's IMC, we need to bring not only a sketch, but four thumbnails as well. Doing large (for me), clean thumbnails was an... experience. But it forced me to clear up the gestures!


I ran them by some people, and with the feedback I got I went back and made a fifth - which is the one I'm working into a sketch now.


Color studies will happen... later. I need to move into a new apartment and then unpack my studio, first!

No comments:

Post a Comment